Commodities are an essential part of our global economy, and business around the world rely on experienced professionals who have a deep understanding of commodities and can drive financial success. The 100% online Commodities Certificate from the University of Colorado Denver Business School prepares you to build a successful career in the fast-paced world of commodities. Our online commodities program is designed for students who want to explore the commodity sector, learn from industry experts, and develop an in-demand set of practical business skills.
During your certificate program, you’ll gain valuable insights from industry experts at the J.P. Morgan Center for Commodities and acquire essential knowledge about a broad range of commodities, including agriculture, energy, mining, and metals. Our program’s strong industry support means that each of our career-focused courses will prepare you to solve real-world business problems in the commodities sector.
Our Commodities Certificate consists of a total of four online courses. You’ll begin with our required Foundations of Commodities course and then choose 3 of the following commodity courses: Commodity Trading, Commodity Valuation and Hedging, Commodity Supply Chain Management, Commodity Data Analysis, and ESG Trends in Energy and Commodities. The certificate can be completed in as few as two semesters, allowing you to immediately apply what you learn to your career. Throughout the program, you will learn the fundamentals of investing, data analysis, commodities markets, risk management, trading, and global economics. You’ll complete your online certificate in commodities with the foundation you need to effectively analyze markets, anticipate trends, manage risks, and trade commodities.
Program at a Glance
Commodities Graduate Certificate
Cost Per Credit:
Cost Per Credit:
J.P. Morgan Center for Commodities
The J.P. Morgan Center for Commodities at the CU Denver Business School is a hub of innovation, research, and academics that focuses on a broad range of commodities, including agriculture, energy, and mining. Established in 2012, this center is the first of its kind and provides world-class educational programs designed to introduce students to the fundamentals of commodities, from physical to financial.
The J.P. Morgan Center for Commodities works closely with key industry partners in the commodities field, including representatives from banking and investment firms, energy, mining, agriculture, Independent Software Vendors (ISVs), exchanges and Futures Commission Merchants (FCMs), among others. Commodities students will have access to our global industry partners through scholarships, internships, experiential learning, and networking opportunities. The center’s close connection to industry plays a vital role in keeping our educational programs career-relevant and grounded in current business practice.
Our 9-credit Commodities Certificate focuses on several important aspects of commodities, including commodity trading operations, forecasting supply and demand functions, portfolio management, investment banking, and commodities markets. Our expert faculty have deep industry knowledge and expertise, and each course offers an applied education that targets skills across all commodities, from quantitative finance and trading to risk management and analytics. Our certificate courses will also give you exposure to common industry technology and tools, such as Bloomberg, Thinkorswim, Morningstar, and CQG.
Certificate students are required to begin the program with Foundations of Commodities, which is taught by three commodity industry experts in the energy, mining and metals, and agriculture sectors. In addition to this foundational course, you’ll be able to focus on the areas of commodities that match your goals for the remaining certificate courses.
Required Courses (9 credits)
In order to earn your Commodities Certificate, you will be required to complete a total of three courses (9 credits). Each course offering is 3 credits.
Choose 3 courses from the following to complete your certificate:
- Carbon Markets: The Future of Business (CMDT 6710)
- Commodity Supply Chain Management (CMDT 6582)
- Commodity Valuation and Hedging (CMDT 6682)
- Commodity Data Analysis (CMDT 6782)
- Commodity Trading (CMDT 6490)
- ESG Trends in Energy & Commodities (CMDT 6240)
- Foundations of Commodities (CMDT 6802)
- Analyze global and regional influences on commodity lifecycles (production, supply chain and logistics, processing, and demand) within the agriculture, metals and minerals, and traditional and green energy sectors.
- Inform commodity investment recommendations through application of practical quantitative business techniques including fundamental analysis, financial modeling, forecasting, and risk management.
- Shape market outlook and implement trading strategies by leveraging technologies such as Bloomberg, Python programming, digital assets, and common trading applications.
- Explore emerging trends across commodity sectors such as sustainability, ESG, and the evolution of new markets.
When you earn your online certificate in commodities, you’ll also have the option to continue your business education and apply your certificate credits toward an online MBA or Master’s in Finance. For more information, reach out to our Enrollment Team.
Admission to our Commodities Certificate is open to any professional who has completed an undergraduate degree. Students can start the certificate four times per year: January, March, August and October. Applicants are not required to submit GRE/GMAT scores for admission to the certificate program.
- Online application
- Application fee: $50 domestic, $75 international
- Copy of your degree bearing transcripts (unofficial is sufficient)
- English language proficiency (if applicable)
If you have additional questions about admission requirements for the Commodities Certificate program or would like help starting an application, connect with the CU Denver Enrollment Team for more details.
Tuition & Fees
At CU Denver, we strive to keep our tuition costs affordable so that you can get a world-class education that fits your budget. We know that affordability is an important factor, and that’s why we’re here to help you explore all of the options available to fund your education.
Our Enrollment Team can answer any of your questions about tuition and financial aid, help you take care of the paperwork, and make sure you’re able to focus on reaching your goals. From financial aid and scholarships to tuition assistance programs, we’ll work with you to find the best way to finance your CU Denver education.
Once you are admitted to the University of Colorado, you’ll have access to our internal scholarship portal where you can view and apply to many funding opportunities offered by the university. Scholarship opportunities typically require an application and may have specific eligibility requirements related to a student's academic merit, financial need, community service, work experience, and more. Unlike financial aid loans, scholarships are gift aid that does not have to be repaid. As a student, you will be able to apply for scholarships every semester.
J.P. Morgan Center for Commodities Scholarships
At the intersection of industry and academia, the J.P. Morgan Center for Commodities and Energy Management is a one-of-a-kind powerhouse bridging together higher learning and real-world practice to develop and hone professional skills across all levels of experience. We are living in a period of dynamic transformation in how commodities are sourced, refined, and utilized. The J.P. Morgan Center is uniquely positioned to provide the industry’s current and future leaders with the educational resources, professional development, programming, and industry-driven research needed to successfully navigate the demands of today’s fast-paced global economy.
Scholarship opportunities specific to the commodities certificate program include:
- J.P. Morgan Center for Commodities Scholarship — Scholarships to provide undergraduate and graduate students with the opportunity to learn the complex relationships among finance, commodities and risk management.
- Anadarko Petroleum — Scholarships for graduate students who will pursue a business degree with a specialty in commodities.
- CoBank Rural America — Scholarships to provide undergraduate or graduate students living or working in a rural area the opportunity to learn about the relationships between finance, commodity and risk.
- Newmont Mining Commodities Scholarship — Scholarships for students holding an undergraduate degree in Mining, Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering, Geology or other engineering fields.
- Trinidad Benham — Scholarships for undergraduate and graduate students pursuing a specialization in commodities, with preference to those students with life or education experience in agricultural commodities.
Financial aid is available for eligible students to use toward paying educational costs while enrolled in a CU Denver program. To determine your eligibility and apply for financial aid, you’ll need to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). When you submit your FAFSA, you will be considered for three types of aid: grants, work-study, and student loans. To be considered for federal financial aid, you will need to apply early and annually.
Employer Tuition Benefits
Many companies offer tuition assistance benefits as part of their employee compensation program. Generally, these policies lay out a set number of credit hours per year that the company will pay for on behalf of the student/employee. Some policies place a cap on eligible tuition dollars and related expenses while others reimburse employees on a per-credit-hour basis. Get in touch with your organization's Human Resources department to learn more about your educational benefits.
Veteran & Military Student Benefits
CU Denver is military-friendly and committed to providing service members and their families with a high-quality education that fits their distinct needs. As a CU Denver student, you will have access to the Office of Veteran & Military Student Services (VMSS), which connects veteran, active duty, reservist, National Guard, and dependent students with fundamental support, services, and resources to ensure academic and professional success.
Our veteran and military students may use both veterans benefits and financial aid to pay for their education. Military benefits with CU Denver include:
- Waived application fee
- GI Bill benefits
- Potential to be awarded credit hours for military training and experience
- Free tutoring and academic support
Connect with our Enrollment Team to learn more about the benefits and financial assistance available to military and veteran students.
Online Student Support
When you join CU Denver, you’ll be connected with a Student Success Coach who will provide personalized support as you work toward your academic, professional, and personal goals. They will be by your side throughout your program, celebrating your successes and empowering you to overcome any obstacles.
As your advocate at CU, your Student Success Coach will:
- Help you register for online courses
- Introduce you to online learning technologies
- Act as your liaison for various university departments
- Work with you to clarify your academic and professional goals
- Address any challenges you encounter throughout your program
- Connect you with university services and resources to help you reach your goals
From helping you stay on track with classes to connecting you with academic and career resources, we offer the support and encouragement you need to complete your certificate and enjoy your journey along the way.
As you consider earning a certificate online, we understand that it’s important for you to know that you’re getting a high-quality, affordable, and flexible online education that helps you reach your goals. That’s why our Enrollment Team is available to offer guidance and answer any questions that you may have about our programs, financial aid options, transfer information, admissions requirements, and more.
At CU Denver, we make it simple for you to apply and start working toward your goals as soon as you’re ready. Whether you want to talk through your future plans, learn more about the commodities program, or start your application, our Enrollment Team will provide friendly support as you decide if CU Denver is the right fit for your future.
Ready to get started? Take the first step toward earning your online Commodities Certificate by calling us at 303-860-5604 or filling out the form above for more information.